Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Stance on Affirmative Action

Based on all my research and findings, I can finally form an opinion on affirmative action. By all means, I support this policy. I truly believe that this is the one of the steps in the right direction. As statistics show, only a few percentage of minorities are found in colleges and workforce, and if the government bans this police, then it will only cause the percentage to further decline. Think about it. White men already had all their rights, opportunities, and freedoms from the beginning. It was blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans, Asians, and women who had to struggle to get what they deserved. If racism and discrimination still exist in the US, then why can't affirmative action? 

Personally, affirmative action benefits me. Since I am part of the minorities in America and also a woman, affirmative action will only increase my chances in getting into a great college or working in a field that I hope to join one day. Therefore, for people like me, policies like affirmative action are a huge advantage to us. For us, it  is a way to be accepted and appreciated within the society. For us, it guarantees equal representation. For us, it makes America the ideal nation, a "melting pot".

No comments:

Post a Comment